1788 - First English Invasion of Isla de los Estados and The Tierra del Fuego
In 1788 the British occupied the Isla de los Estados and the Isle of Tierra del Fuego, when the news reached Buenos Aires from the presence of the invaders in the south of the viceroyaltythe Viceroy Loreto, gave orders for their eviction by force, so that in 1790 they were expelled from the main island of Tierra del Fuego and only in 1791 they were from the Isla de los Estados.
Given these new English actions there was a strong protest from the Spanish crown in 1790 does sign with the British the somewhat called "Treaty of the Escorial", by which the British were forbidden to sail and fish within 10 leagues (30 miles nautical - about 54 miles) of Spanish land and settle in them.
On 30 December 1768, Spanish Navy Captain Bucareli notifies the viceroy that the Captain Sq. Domingo Perler and the Lieutenant (j.g) Sq. Manuel Pando set Sail through different courses commissioned to the discovery of the new British establishment of these on the Tierra del Fuego, having achieved solely to Recon. the part designated by the plans and diary which shall transmit in due course. He added quote:
"Taking advantage of the current station dispatched in 7 of the present (December 1768) Sq. Manuel Pando, with two boats The Brigantine “San Francisco de Paula”, and the schooner “San Rafael”, well prepared, Loaded and equipped with artillery, a sergeant-eight soldiers three Dominican friars and several species appropriate for the maintenance of the Indians to the Isle of Fuego with orders to form population in the most useful and advantageous port, the interesting objects that directs, to remain there until the first venture, recognizeits entire coast, Patagones and the Straits of Magellan to Port Famine, to dislodge the English or be convenient if you find them to be superior forces, keeping a boat and sending the other with the news that acquire towards Buenos Ayres ".
However for various reasons, the expedition, after checking the Puerto Deseado, could not exceed the latitude of the Strait of Magellan, and the Tierra del Fuego went abandoned. On May 8, 69 Pando was back. The Spanish crown did not relent in their purposes:
"bound for the formation of the Establishment in Tierra del Fuego ... when they had not checked (Pando) by contrariety of time, sent me the King (Arriaga communicated Bucareli on September 11, 1769), to warn VC disposal in a more timely compliance station, taking all the measures."
In 1788 the British occupied the Isla de los Estados and the Isle of Tierra del Fuego, reaching Buenos Aires news of the presence of the invaders in the south of the viceroyalty the Viceroy Loreto, gave orders for their eviction by force, so that in 1790 they were expelled from the main island from the Tierra del Fuego and only in 1791 they were from the Isla de los Estados.
Since then for routine operations improved by the presence of the Patagonian establishments and activity of their chiefs while the March 16, 1795 the Viceroy Nicolas Arredondo Report noted that:
"these colonies our that may well be called military ... are gaining ... the increase in population and culture and serving the Patagonian coast ... a kind of barrier, watchtower and observatories to the Indians ... as to the British ... ".