1869 - ANGLICAN MISSION IN USHUAIA
The last attempt to occupy the Tierra del Fuego by the American Missionary Society English, Anglican missionary organization, founded in London and mission center in the Falkland Islands since the invasion in January 1833, was held in 1869, at 28 years old, arrived in Ushuaia Pastor Thomas Bridges, with his wife, a young daughter and 3 other missionaries, who gave strong impetus to the new village.
Bridges had traveled at age 9 from England to the mission in the Malvinas Islands where he trained as a religious and learned the language of the Yamana natives who were educated there. He lived the rest of his life on the shores of the Beagle Channel, where other 5 children were born (early settlers born in Tierra del Fuego) and wrote the only existing dictionary Yamana language; was unveiled, until his death in 1898, to improve the standard of living of the natives.
His son, Lucas Bridges, born in Ushuaia in 1875, lived among Yamanas and Onas; knew their language and publicly defended, even against the interests of English landowners on Tierra del Fuego. Lucas wrote "The last end of the Earth," one of the most beautiful American epics, which tells the tragic clash between civilizations.
By September 1884, the National Government of Buenos Aires decided to permanently occupy those lands new British attempts to preclude designating Navy Col. Dan. Augusto Lasserre, as commander of the Navy Expeditionary Division, which formed the Gunship ARA "Paraná" Notice ARA "Comodoro Py" the Cutter ARA "Patagonian" Transport and ARA "Villarino". The naval expeditionary group arrived in the Bay of Ushuaia, which already existed in the area since 1869 the Anglican Mission, which was stood on an area near the currently holding the neighborhood Baja Mission of the Armada Argentina.
On October 12, 1884 the act creating the Sub-Prefecture of Ushuaia is signed and hoisted for the first time and officially the Argentine national flag on a permanent outpost in the Tierra del Fuego.
The Anglican mission among the Yamana in 1888 moved to other islands in the Beagle Channel and in Ushuaia only existed until 1920.