Finished the 1st Combat of the Vuelta de Obligado the invaders had begun their navigation upstream of Paraná with the intention of attacking the towns of Santa Fe, Entre Ríos and Corrientes, although some of these forces still lurking in the area.

The Argentine Lucio Norberto Mansilla General was recovering from a heavy wound received in the fight of 24 November of the previous year, during one of the bayonet charges he ordered and spearhead against the Anglo-French landing, artillery shrapnel had hit him in  the chest three fractured ribs and other injuries accounted for, almost gave him for dead, however, a few hours rose from his tent and kept fighting.

During that time Mansilla had ordered rebuild the batteries and defensive fortifications, preparing to attack enemy ships when the chance was given. On the other hand he had detached  units of light cavalry to follow by land the invaders intending to attack in other narrow passages of the river.

On January 2, 1846, was a new Anglo French infantry disembarkation to take the batteries, British commander Hontham in command of 300 Marines and six pieces of light artillery began the attack at dawn.

Was then unleashed the so-called the "2nd Combat Vuelta de Obligado", but this time with the Argentines under Navy Lieutenant Colonel Juan Bautista Thorne with mobile artillery pulled by horses and Spearmen Cavalry and sections of Infantry from the Regiment of Patricios.

Thorne, natural the successor of Mansilla, on his body also showed the fury of the 1st combat of Obligado, was practically deaf by his own guns. During that battle, standing on the parapet of the battery "Manuelita", Juan Bautista Thorne harangued his gunners and just down from his watchtower to rectify the target of the cannon. In that battle the rumble of the pieces irremediably damaged his ear, but not frustrate their will to keep shooting when enemy ships were able to force the pace and go up the river to the north.

General Mansilla twice ordered Thorne to suspend fire and withdraw and they answer "that their guns would impose to fire until victory or death" as a result of these events the history remembered forever as the "Deaf of Obligado".

His disobedience served to march under arrest to the convent of San Lorenzo and remained there until the same Mansilla transformed the disciplinary action in the appointment of Commander in Chief of the Coast of Paraná. In that capacity he commanded the batteries in the combat of Quebracho, in which he was wounded in the left shoulder.

The Argentine guns had been emplaced by General Mansilla (In Command) at the top of the ravine, completely beyond the reach of the disembarked enemy artillery. After the Anglo French initial bombing and the new landing charges in bare bayonet of the patricios infantry Regiment constantly repeated the main Argentine leaders were wounded in combat.

The shouts of Viva la Patria repeated amidst combat, the music band of the Regiment by order of General Mansilla, touched the Argentine national anthem, chanted loudly in anger by the Braves defending the position. Finally, the invading ships and the men of the English Hontham, after waging a major battle over three hours, had no choice but to make every effort to flee the scene as soon as they could.

In this new confrontation two English merchant gunships were sunk four others were burned to avoid falling into Argentine hands and vapors HMS "Harpy" and "Gorgon" war were seriously damaged. It is to remember that war vapors that accompanied the merchant gunships, armored ships were modern, with rotating turrets artillery and Congreve rockets.

The war for control of the Paraná will continue with the combats of "The Tonelero", "Acevedo", "San Lorenzo" and "Angostura of the Quebracho" where in the June 4, 1846, again General Lucio Norberto Mansilla faces them producing  terrible casualties from the "Barrancas del Quebracho", north of San Lorenzo, achieving an overwhelming Argentinean victory, which meant the end of the nine months of the Anglo French colonialist adventure. When starting the artillery fire at the Battle of Quebracho, Mansilla returned to the attack shouting "Long live the Argentine sovereign independence." Another Argentinean leader with  great performance in this fight was the Colonel Martin de Santa Coloma, who led the infantry Battalion Santa Coloma.

During the Blockade to the Rio de la Plata and the invasion of the Parana River carried out by squads of England and France, these were not the only attacks of foreign forces, on March 21 was attacked the anchorage and town of Ensenada (near City of La Plata), and the 25th, the town of Atalaya province of Buenos Aires in both cases, local militia cavalry, called the River Guard and Terrestrial of Atalaya forced to re-embark and retire.