By 1830, the British were still making the rounds in February of that year, the Brigantine HMS "Beagle" under the command of the English Captain Robert Fitz Roy arrived from the Atlantic to the Fuegian channels and by deception and false promises of exchange fish for a valuable tool for Yaganes, Fitz Roy convinced his first visitor who arrived by canoe, the child Orudenko that embarked on the Beagle, a situation where he was taken prisoner and held hostage. Aboard met three yaganes two adult men and a girl, Fiz Roy had decided days ago, take revenge on the Yaganes whom they had tried to steal a whaling boat from the ship.

All these illegal and unilateral actions were carried out by England despite the fact that in February 2, 1825 they had signed a Treaty of Friendship, Commerce and Free Navigation between the United Provinces of Rio de la Plata and Britain. Through this treaty, the United Provinces, were recognized as independent nation of the Kingdom of Spain, and reciprocal free trade, reduction in import duties and port fees eximision both parties also stipulated, freedom of conscience for subjects Englishmen residing in our territory (could not be Catholic), and the total abolition of slavery (for England), already established in Buenos Aires since 1813.

The yaganes captured were renamed as Jemmy Button (Orundeko in memory button sack Fitz Roy that this surrender to his uncle as a unique value for the capture of his nephew), York Minster and Boat Memory to two adults in homage to a temple of England and almost lost whaling, however, the girl, Fuegia Basket, by the English name of this land.

On February 11, 1830 the HMS "Beagle" sailed for England leading by force held as hostages to the four Yaganes, already in the British Isles, those captured were displayed to the public only as inferior beings in zoos and hearings before King William IV, being performed an anthropological tour different cities and forcing them to study the English language and convert accepting the religious beliefs of the Protestants.

After nearly three years in this martyrdom, Fitz Roy and the British Missionary Society decided to return the survivors Yaganes (only three - Boat Memory died of the European smallpox) to Tierra del Fuego and take this opportunity to lay foundation on the Big Island establishing an Anglican Mission, for which he was appointed Pastor Richard Matthews.

They arrived at the Beagle Channel in January 1833, days after the English invasion of the Falkland Islands by the Corvette HMS "Clio". Despite all this effort, the invasion of the Big Island, the colonizing mission of the Fuegian natives, relying to the converted, Yaganes was a smashing failure, the Yaganes opposed changing their customs, their language and their habits and Fuegia York fled to inland and Button, again became nomadic.

Besides the Yaganes, Alacalufes (Kawesqar) Selk'nam (Ona), the Yamana and Hausch, suffered a similar abuse of the English, forced abduction of these Fuegians under the guise of scientific study of inferior beings became a routine, over time, you would add these other Europeans, which would destroy virtually all traces of these Patagonian native peoples.

Finally, in October of 1966 and about 90 years old, died in the city of Ushuaia, the capital of the province of Tierra del Fuego, Mrs. Lola Kiepja, last Selknam thoroughbred, today only a few mixed race remain on the island .